|Released||November 24, 2009|
The first volume of Chibisan Date was released in Japan by the publisher Gentosha. It contained the first seven serialized chapters and two "extra" comics, one of which was published in Comic Birz the month before the tankōbon's release. It should be noted that each edition of Comic Birz is released two months before the issue month it is assigned.
- 1 Chapters
- 1.1 Chapter 1: "Clear. Some of the Babena in the Garden have Flowered."
- 1.2 Chapter 2: "Clear. I Stocked Up on Paints While I was Out."
- 1.3 Chapter 3: "Today I Made Cookies and Tried My Hardest. Just One More."
- 1.4 Extra #1
- 1.5 Chapter 4: "Clear. The Plovers Built a Nest."
- 1.6 Chapter 5: "Cloudy. I'm Embarrassed. I Want to Hide Somewhere."
- 1.7 Chapter 6: "Clear with Occasional Rain. I Want to Believe in Myself."
- 1.8 Chapter 7: "The Story of the Day I Arrived."
- 1.9 Extra #2
- 2 Release
- 3 Notes
Chapter 1: "Clear. Some of the Babena in the Garden have Flowered."
Seiji Chiga sits dejected on a dock on the island of Nantucket, an artistic block keeping him from enjoying the beautiful day around him with his friend Reinhard Fischer, as the drawing contest is fast approaching. Inland, a young girl named Chibisan arrives at the home of Mr. Suehiro to wish him a happy birthday and give him a picture she drew as a present. Seiji arrives, as he is staying with Suehiro as his apprentice. Chibisan asks Seiji to go to the lighthouse with her, but he curtly turns her down. Chibisan quickly figures out that he's in a slump, and he is shown lying down in his bedroom stressing over what he should draw for the contest, having already drawn the lighthouse for the contest the year before. Deciding to be productive, Seiji goes downstairs to get his sketchbook and runs into Candy and Margaret Baker.
Candy asks him why he looks so bored and tells him that he should quit worrying about every little thing and just draw. After talking for a minute, Margaret remembers that they came to bring him a batch of cookies Candy made, and they part ways, with Candy reminding him not to overwork himself. Seiji mulls over why he is in such a state, and while staring out the window is hit by a nut thrown by Fischer, who is visiting Suehiro to voice his concerns about Seiji. That night, Seiji sits on the roof and half-heartedly considers jumping, when Suehiro comes up with a cup of hot cocoa. Suehiro tells Seiji that everyone falls into slumps, and he should practice drawing what he likes for the time being. Somewhat re-energized, Seiji begins to sketch again, though he is still very unsatisfied with how it turns out.
Chapter 2: "Clear. I Stocked Up on Paints While I was Out."
Fischer arrives at Seiji's window and tells him to meet him at the front door with his sketchbook. After Suehiro asks Seiji to pick up some onions while he is out, Seiji meets Fischer and asks him where they are going. Fischer reveals that he's found "an interesting guy who's just like you!" They head to the outskirts of town where they meet Honorat, and they make their introductions while becoming briefly distracted by some nearby cats. Honorat shows Seiji his house and garden, revealing that he created it specifically for artistic inspiration. When asked, Seiji reveals that he's most interested in the garden, a charming cat, and the window frames of the house, much to the amusement of Honorat and Fischer. Fischer takes his leave, saying that there's something he needs to do.
Seiji sits down and begins to sketch the cat, and when Honorat returns with coffee a couple of minutes later, Seiji covers up his drawing, saying that it's not ready to be looked at yet. He reveals that he's not good at rough sketches, and people made fun of them when he was studying in Glasgow. A thought striking him, Honorat takes Seiji inside his house and shows him his studio. A painting hangs on the wall drawn in a more abstract style, which Seiji has never seen before. Honorat explains that his sketches are messy too, and that he paints this way because it is how he sees the world. Seiji is shocked by Honorat's disregard for "fundamentals" such as sketching and perspective, but Honorat explains that he needs to relax and draw the things he likes and forget about other people's opinions. After a long conversation, Fischer returns and Seiji takes his leave, Honorat inviting him to come back anytime he'd like. On the way home, Fischer describes Seiji as being a little weird too, but that it's not necessarily a bad thing.
Chapter 3: "Today I Made Cookies and Tried My Hardest. Just One More."
Candy instructs Margaret on how to make cookies, admonishing her for not following the recipe. Margaret insists that they'll be fine, but upon tasting them admits that they aren't good. The chapter segues into Margaret talking with a personified representation of her diary, introducing herself and explaining her personality and interests. The scene ends with Seiji looking up from the diary, asking Margaret what it is, and she explains that it is her exchange diary.
Chapter 4: "Clear. The Plovers Built a Nest."
Chapter 5: "Cloudy. I'm Embarrassed. I Want to Hide Somewhere."
Chapter 6: "Clear with Occasional Rain. I Want to Believe in Myself."
Chapter 7: "The Story of the Day I Arrived."
The first volume was first released by Gentosha on November 24, 2009. In the proceeding years, it has been published in several nations. Tokyopop announced its acquisition of Chibisan Date in 2010 but ceased operations before the first volume could be released.
Chinese Edition (原動力亞細亞)
Released on April 9, 2010
Russian Edition (XL Media)
Released on September 2, 2010
North American Edition (Tokyopop)
Canceled July 7, 2011 Release
German Edition (Tokyopop Europe/Germany)
Released on February 13, 2013
- Chapter 1: "Clear. Some of the Babena in the Garden have Flowered." was originally published in the April 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
- Chapter 2: "Clear. I Stocked Up on Paints While I was Out." was originally published in the May 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
- Chapter 3: "Today I Made Cookies and Tried My Hardest. Just One More." was originally published in the June 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
- Extra #1 was originally published in the December 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
- Chapter 4: "Clear. The Plovers Built a Nest." was originally published in the July 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
- Chapter 5: "Cloudy. I'm Embarrassed. I Want to Hide Somewhere." was originally published in the August 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
- Chapter 6: "Clear with Occasional Rain. I Want to Believe in Myself." was originally published in the September 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
- Chapter 7: "The Story of the Day I Arrived." was originally published in the October 2009 edition of Comic Birz.
|Chibisan Date Manga and Books|
|Published Manga||Volume 1 · Volume 2 · Volume 3 · Volume 4|
|Online Manga||Unpublished Strips|
|See also||Comic Birz · Comic Spica|